Sunday, July 13, 2014

Day 7 already!

I'm not gonna lie... I almost skipped blogging tonight. It is Too. Damn. Hot. 

But, it was such a great vacation day that I just can't skip :)

Got up this morning about 6 am in Williams, AZ. I made a cup of Javita coffee, took a shower, and rounded up the laundry. Then I walked the 7 blocks down Route 66 to the only laundry in town. The town was soooooo peaceful and quiet... Just like you think a small "frontier" town should be! While the clothes were washing, I dropped some postcards in the mail and wandered up and down the main street, reading historical markers and taking pics, before the shops even opened.
It was perfection. I got a local newspaper, and read that while I waited for the washer to finish, then walked down to get coffees for myself and Padre Bear at a little cafe while the clothes dried. I woke  up the Bear and the cubs, got them going, and put the top down in the car to cruise down to pick up the clothes. We loaded up the car and headed for the Grand Canyon a little after 10 am. It was 75 degrees. 

By the time we made the hour drive to the GC, it was 88 degrees. Still not miserable, but warm indeed. THAT was a lot of fun (and we found a Hawaii plate! Only 2 to go!!)... 
And at the Rim....
It almost seems like a backdrop! We visitor centered and gift shopped, and has lunch by the car just outside the park.... Then had ice cream in McD's and enjoyed the A/C ;)
Off to Hoover Dam! Thank goodness we dawdled, because it was 100 by the time we hit Kingman for gas a few hours later, and was a horrid 106 by the dam at 7:15 pm. We made the damn dam a quick stop... 
Because we wanted to be sure we made it to the Pawn Stars shop before 9... And had a beautiful sunset drive on the drop into Vegas. 
Just made it on time! It was cool to see the store in person! Here I am at the Pawn Stars pawn shop... And the car in their side lot with the sign...
After that we made the cruise down the strip to our hotel off Tropicana. Giant Cub's commentary on the drive was hilarious... 2 quotes of the day.... Upon seeing the marquee type sign for McDonalds, he exclaimed "that McDonald's is FABulooooous" with a tone usually reserved for drag queens!!! Then, somewhere around Treasure Island, he said "If the internet was a real place, this is what it would look like." Hahahaha!! He's right!!

Got to the Americas Best Value Inn to blessed air conditioning at about 9:30 pm, then walked to the strip to find food. Too Hot. (104) and too crowded with a fight tonight at the MGM. Ugh. Settled for 24 hour food court food, and lots of drinks for our dehydrated bodies. Did I mention it's HOT?! 
I should not be eating in this heat, just drinking beverages, since with my stomach surgery I can't eat and drink at the same time, and I should have opted to hydrate. Now I'm trying to put down water before bed, since everyone is asleep with the A/C turned to "meat locker".... Lol! 

Tomorrow is early so we can drive to SoCal to visit Marine Cub... And this family can't get away from this heat fast enough!!!! 

Well, time for more water ;) adios!!!

Mama Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment